Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Tools

No programmer can call himself a real programmer if he/she can't program without a fancy IDE that points out syntax errors, provides code templates and code completition, compiles (and links if it applies) automatically, and so on. Once you can write your program in notepad or vi and create your executable files through command line compilation you can say you really know the language and the tools... but dang it's annoying!!!

Since I had never programmed using MIDP, I didn't even know what libraries and tools were necessary, so I went to the first place that comes to everyone's mind... Google. I was bound to be directed to the java.sun.com site anyway, but Google can take you to the right page with fewer clicks.

At the java site I found out about the Sun Java Wireless Toolkit (version 2.5.1) at that moment. The current version at the time of this writing is already 2.5.2. So I downloaded it, installed it, compiled and ran a couple examples and I knew I was pretty much set... Yeah right!

Even though I was able to start the project, create a couple Canvas and implement the basic human vs human game, having to edit your java files in notepad is not the easiest way. After some days programming that way I thought it was time to get a decent IDE. So I downloaded NetBeans 5.5.1 and the Mobility Pack which allows you to create MIDP projects.

Now that's what I'm talking about! With all the bells and whistles you can ask for, and then some, you can comfortably develop your project with absolute integration with the Wireless Toolkit for compilation, execution and debugging. I'm so glad I took the time to research about IDEs for wireless development. I definitely recommend the combination of NetBeans and its Mobility Pack to anyone that wishes to develop mobile applications.

No comments: